[Samba] Samba domains with ldap

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Fri Nov 4 01:31:32 GMT 2005

On 11/1/2005 9:59 AM, Matt Ingram wrote:
> I've been following the Samba 3 by Example book by John Terpstra and
> having problems getting things to work properly.
>
> Right now when I try to add a computer to the domain I get the attached
> in the log files.  And Windows returns the error message:  "The
> following error occured attempting to join the domain "DEATH": The user
> name could not be found.    The system name, "isdept88" in this case,
> get's added to the ldap, but the system doesn't attach to the domain.
> :S  Also attached are some of my config files.  I'm using Samba
> 3.0.12-5, Openldap2-2.2.23-6, smbldap-tools 0.8.4.

I assume you are using smbldap for the "add machine script"? Does it
provide debug output options that you can use to trace the problem?

Also trace the LDAP session using ethereal or the like and see if any LDAP
errors are generated during the operation.

I have also encountered "username could not be found" and other seemingly
random errors doing some operations, but those usually only happen after a
server restart has left srvmgr in a weird state (refreshing the list with
F5 key prior to attempting anything significant seems to reduce the
frequency of the errors somewhat, btw).