[Samba] Samba filename spaces problem

Marko Bozikovic bozho at kset.org
Thu Nov 3 14:46:14 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have a strange problem with samba. The problem is with linux filenames
ending with a space and opening these files in Windows.

We have a piece of Windows software that accesses some files on a Samba share.
These files are name something like: "B0ANA30AN001 XQ50 " (without the quotes).

Older linux system is SuSE with samba 2.2.5. Our Windows application replaces
spaces in filenames with '!' (i.e. "B0ANA30AN001 XQ50 " is mapped into
"B0ANA30AN001!XQ50!"), and this works fine with samba 2.2.5.

However, new SuSE system has samba 3.0.7-5 installed and this does not work
anymore. I've tried fiddling with samba configuration, but without success.

Does anyone have an idea how to make this work? Renaming files on linux is not
an option. Ideal soulution would be to configure samba 3 to work the way samba
2 works on our older system.

TIA,
--
Marko
ICQ: 5990814

I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol
that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get.