[Samba] Samba Cups Windows 98 Raw Printing - need help

ds dsitsolutions at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 21:57:36 GMT 2005

On 10/13/05, John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 13 October 2005 12:56, ds wrote:
> > On 10/6/05, Louis van Belle <louis at van-belle.nl> wrote:
> > > Hi, did you try to make de spooler name ( sharename ) of the
> > > printer "win98 photosmart" smaller to max 12 characters.
> > > and leave the space out. Name it for example like this
> > > w98_photosm and try again.
> > >
> > > Loius
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried doing this, I shortened the name
> > of the printer to raw1750 with no spaces, underscores or dashes and
> > now it shows up when I try to browse for it.  However, I am still
> > unable to print.  I am very busy this week, but I will keep trying, I
> > will examine the logs and see if I can find out what the problem is,
> > probably post more questions next week.
>

> ADd the parameter "cups options = raw" to the [global] section of your
> smb.conf file.
>
> - John T.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was able to get it working.  I am going
to be adding a printer that will not be using the raw queue, so I
added this to the share itself instead of the [global] section.  Also,
it didn't work at first so I looked up the parameter in the smb.conf
man page and found the correct sytax is:

cups options = "raw"

I am assuming it is passing the string inside the quotes to CUPS, the
smb.conf man page example shows a comma delimited list with several
options enclosed by the double quotes.

Thanks again for the help, now that I have the Windows 98 client
set-up I will be forging ahead into Windows XP and cupsaddsmb.

ds