[Samba] Obtaining log level 10 for just specified user(s) (MS Word & Excel File Locking issue - still)

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Mon May 30 13:40:40 GMT 2005

Is it possible to make samba produce a log at level 10 for only a specified
user(s), I am trying (still) to figure out why Samba processes climb to 100%
CPU and the user loses connection with MS Word & Excel files being locked.

Have been dealing with this issue for quite some time now, but had to put it
on the back burner for a while because we had little time to deal with it.
Apprently only an issue with a few users still, yet unable to isolate
anything different from them to the user next to them, aside from filenames,
which are apparently random or not the cause anyhow.

Gave up on trying to fix it a while back, but having more and more problems
daily, with 2-3 processes every hour or so climbing to 100% cpu utilization
and the user being locked out; a simple kill -9 to the process id in
question, and a new one spawns and the end users good to go... Annoying, but
at least a work-around we've been able to get by with. I'd like to get some
debugging logs, but as these servers are being used in production, I need to
force log level 10 only for specified users (aka ones having the problem).
Is it possible to do this? Log files hit like 5 megs in a matter of a minute
or two; can't accept that for every user on the system - and it's a huge hit
on I/O we don't need to take either :(

Any suggestions?

--
Nathan Vidican