[Samba] Mac OSX breaking POSIX rights with SMB/CIFS

Michael Gasch gasch at eva.mpg.de
Mon May 30 08:06:18 GMT 2005

[UPDATE]

i'm no able to specify our problem i little bit more:

the problem only occurs with MS Office Word for Mac OSX (version X and
2004; recent patches)

1) create a new document (word doc) in a "share" (e.g. points to
/data/share) with MacOSX

2) access a share, which is located *above* "share" (e.g. points to
/data) with MacOSX

3) modify the document and save

=> at this moment, the document gets weird group ownerships (no matter
if you work with force group or sgid bit on directories)

we could see the following group ownerships on different server systems:

NT 4.0 -> group is set to group from superior share (e.g. /data);
inheritance of other groups is not honored

samba v3 -> group is set to something totally different; neither the
group of /data nor /data/share nor the given group in "force group" -
parameters

win2k3 server -> group is set to group from superior share (e.g. /data);
inheritance of other groups is not honored

we think this is a bug
we could not see anything in a trace on the coresponding samba process
nor in an ethereal dump - of course i'm willing to provide you with our
dumps

it would be nice, if you would assist us and try to reproduce this
behaviour!

man thanks in advance

--
Michael Gasch