[Samba] Samba and Windows ACL Issue

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Fri May 27 20:50:30 GMT 2005

On Friday 27 May 2005 14:39, Doug VanLeuven wrote:
> John,
> Why should acl support be needed for a simple owner or group change?

It isn't. I was responding to the matter of ACL's support. You are perfectly
correct - ownership management has nothing to do with ACL's per se.

But in UNIX only root can change the ownership of a file, unlike Windows, in
which the owner can change the ownership of the file (or directory).

If you want to make it possible for a user to change file and directory
ownership you will need to use the user rights and privileges setting to
provide that. The user will need to be given seDiskOperatorPrivilege - and
that makes them 'root' for all such operations.

- John T.