[Samba] mapping with username: "user@domain" failed

Ephi Dror ephi at agami.com
Wed May 25 17:28:57 GMT 2005

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure I understand. Most likely I haven't explained myself good
enough.

You said:
>Because it's an invalid syntax. In the windows world it's
DOMAIN\username, end of story.

I tested that syntax (name at domain) with mapping a share from windows
2003 server and this syntax is perfectly right and works like a Swiss
Watch.

In fact, I thought that in complex environment with multiple domains and
sub domains and trusts between domain it should be very common to use
name at doamin and I thought that the syntax domain\name is more like a
pre-windows2000 syntax.

Of course I now that "domain" in the name at domain style meaning the
Active Directory domain name (what samba called realm name) and "domain"
in "domain\name" means the pre-windows (netbios name).

For example:

Active Directory domain name: london.agami.com
Pre-windows2000 domain name: london
User name: ephi

Now I have samba server that joined this domain in ADS style.
I also have another win2003 that joined that domain.

Samba and the other windows 2003 server both have one share each.

When I go to winxp client to map those shares I can use both styles
(ephi at london.agami.com and london\ephi) when prompoted to put
username/password.

HOWEVER, samba does not like me to use ephi at london.agami.com, ONLY
london\ephi worked.

I hope I explained my point better.

I guess, all I am asking is why samba (maybe only my samba) server
doesn't allow me to use "name at realm", meaning only "netbiosDomain\name"
works.

Cheers,
Ephi