[Samba] How to force XP to use an unqualified username?

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Wed May 25 14:06:55 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to map a share to a samba server from an XP workstation. The
Samba server is a domain member, and the share in question is set up for
guest access.

>From a linux box, I can run "smbclient -W DOMAIN \\server\share", and it
prompts for a password. I hit enter, and it logs in as "anonymous".
Looking at a packet trace I see it try to log in as "DOMAIN\username"
(where username is just my login to the Linux machine) which fails, then
"anonymous", which works fine.

>From an XP box, logged on as *local* Administrator, but joined to the
DOMAIN, I do:-

net use k: \\server\share /user:anonymous

This fails, and a packet trace shows the damn thing insists on trying to
connect as MACHINE\anonymous. Any idea how I can force it to connect
without the netbios name of the machine stuck on the front?

Mike.