[Samba] log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m creates 2 logfiles per client

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed May 25 12:48:29 GMT 2005

>I wonder why 2 log files per client (log.$IP and log.$NETBIOSNAME) are
>created when "log file" ist set to "/var/log/samba/log.%m".

Yep, and it has been covered here before.  Basically smbd starts
creating a log as soon as it sees the connection, with whatever
information it knows.  Very early on it only knows IP, but soon finds
the name.  As soon as it retrieves the name from the client it switches
to the name log file.

Essentially the result was that this is the intended functionality.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.