[Samba] smb an NFS dir?

Tobias Bluhm tobias.bluhm at philips.com
Wed May 25 12:25:16 GMT 2005

What sort of box is your NFS server? If it's also RH or other Linux/Unix,
could put samba on the NFS box and use msdfs on the main smb server to
point to the NFS shares. You will cut down on network traffic as the data
will now only make one trip.

Or perhaps you need to tweak your nfs mount options. These are the nfs
options I had used for smb re-sharing of nfs:

from Tru64, RH9 and NetApp NFS servers -
rw,hard,bg,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,sync,noac
from WhiteBox EL 3 NFS server -
rw,hard,bg,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,proto=udp,vers=3

All NFS servers used default export options. WBEL defaults to sync export.
At one time long ago I had experimented with larger values for rsize &
wsize, but saw no increase in performance.

toby bluhm
philips medical systems, cleveland ohio
tobias.bluhm at philips.com
440-483-5323