[Samba] Re: Testing domain group membership

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue May 24 13:35:52 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra wrote:

>>AFAICT, nothing in the current Samba-HOWTO mentions any method to test
>>ads group membership for a particular user.  Please correct me if I'm
>>wrong.

> Section 12.4.3, though it mentions the RPC method, for an ADS domain member
> use:
> 	net ads user info 'username' -S target_server -U Administrator%password
> So are you wrong or am I?

I already mentioned in my original post that
$ net user info
returns which groups a user is a (direct) member of, but that is not
sufficient for my needs.  I need to test membership of a particular
group, which can possibly involve nested groups, a case for which the
naive 'net user info' test fails:

User foo is a member of Group 'A'.
Group 'A' is a member of Group 'B'.
I need a test to determine if User 'foo" is a member of Group 'B', and
$ net user info 'foo'
will only show/confirm membership in Group 'A'.

-- Rex