[Samba] samba4 openldap

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Mon May 23 18:13:35 GMT 2005

man, 23.05.2005 kl. 17.50 skrev Caleb O'Connell:

> Is there a change however you can just choose a different datastore in the
> config file though?  so you can choose to use the built in ldap or to just
> use an openLDAP datastore.  The ldap scheme I imagine would stay the same,
> just the database itself and the ldap program itself ldb samba4 is giong to
> be using.  I was just curious for obvious reasons.

There won't be a schema any more. During the weekend I googled for
Samba4 docs and subscribed to the tecchie list. What came up was enough
to ensure that I'll keep my mouth shut about Samba4 and LDAP until
they're there.

There will basically probably be a complete LDAP and total database
rethink (keyword is "ldb"). Unless people are *very* familiar with
OpenLDAP's (2.2 and 2.3) meta backend and proxy concepts, unless the
Samba crew is willing to do it all for one, one'd better forget
everything one ever learned about integrating Samba and any present
OpenLDAP DSE. The explanations I got from the above were, that time is
moving on, NT4 (and therefore 2000) is at end of life, and Microsoft's
support can be expected to terminate (or at least quickly ebb out). It's
important that Samba fully supports the ADS concept of DC authentication
and that's not possible with the present mumble_sam constellation.. Even
when that is done, the docs I dug up say that the present state of Samba
4 technology will be where Microsoft was 10 years ago (which would take
us back to Windows NT 3.5 and its antiquated technology, men skitt la
gå).

So either go out digging for docs to find out what is going to overwhelm
you, or lie back and be prepared to let it do so ;)

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

Eg er bergenser og, eg, men, Trondheims-ordfører Marvin Wiseth:
«Bergenserne er flinke til å gjøre mye ut av lite» (uttalte seg over 17.
mai feiringen iår, men gjelder sannsynligvis og dette mel mitt).