[Samba] Samba server crashes when logging in at XP

Gottfried Siehs g.siehs at tirol.com
Mon May 23 19:57:41 GMT 2005

Hello,

in our school I have installed Debian Sarge with Samba 3.0.14a
and LDAP. Everything worked fine as long as we used Windows
98SE.
Now I have installed Windows XP Prof SP2 (with recommended
registry patches). I am able to join the workstations to the
domain (after commenting out "ldap_filter ..." in smb.conf). I
am able to login from each workstation, everything seemed to
be fine.
But if two or more workstation log in at the same time (I mean
they press "enter" at the login window at the same time) the
server crashes. It is not possible to login even from Windows
98.
ps shows me that there are some smbd processes hanging. If I
execute "/etc/init.d/samba stop" they are still there and I
have to KILL them. After doing it I can restart Samba and use
the network.

The only error message I can find in the log files is

"getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not
connected"

and

"could not connect to any ldap server" (after the crash).

Please help me - I have looked through the configuration files
many times and I really do not know WHERE to search!

Many thanks!