[Samba] Standardized Benchmarking?

Peter Szmrecsanyi peter at totallinux.com.br
Sat May 21 13:07:24 GMT 2005

Good idea! Bonnie++ is good, I also like tiobench as it benchmarks the block
device's IO capabilities...

I used a stopwatch as well, I suppose a small program that will copy a large
file and give back a rate would be useful in benchmarking.

I suppose that as far as standardizing, well all you need to is to specify
the file size and type (gz/zip for example). A good idea would be to bench
small files, reasonably sized files yet smaller than RAM and then a big file
(say 4GB) which must be bigger than RAM... That way you can get an idea of
what RAM -> RAM and Disk -> Disk transfers are like and how they differ,
with a medium sized file you'd get a mixture of RAM and Disk.

Just thoughts, feel free to criticize.. ;)

Peter.

PS: Did you find that Compaq PPro machine and run some tests?