[Samba] making MS server 2003 a domain member server

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Thu May 19 21:06:04 GMT 2005

On Thursday 19 May 2005 14:50, Patrick Frye wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been researching (google, o'reilly and
> samba.org) intensely for the past 3 weeks learning
> about samba and setting up my first successful samba
> 3.10 domain. So I am still very new to this. Am I
> right when I assume that a domain member server helps
> with authentication? My company wants to migrate the
> current windows 2000 server over to the new samba 3
> server I created. So this will be our main file and
> print server. But for client backups we need to keep
> our backup server Windows. I just installed server
> 2003 on that machine. Can I add the server 2003
> machine as a domain member server of the samba 3
> domain, and if so how would I do that? Would that 2003
> server then help with authentication? I am not using
> ldap just a simple samba3 with smbpasswd domain.

Patrick,

Suggest you follow the book "Samba-3 by Example", you can download a PDF of
the book from:

	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

I would suggest you consider chapter 3 or 4 as the model for your network.
Chapter 7 provides information needed to add a Domain Member Server.

If you run into difficulty please let me know.

Cheers,
John T.
--
John H Terpstra