[Samba] Re: securing root to administrator mapping

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Thu May 19 19:05:19 GMT 2005

On Thursday 19 May 2005 12:55, Michal Kurowski wrote:
> David Bear [David.Bear at asu.edu] wrote:
> > I'm just starting to convert to using samba 3 --. Untill now, my use
> > of samba has been pretty simple. I've not used it as a DC and I've use
> > passthrough auth.. I know some say its ugly (and it can be) but its
> > made my life easier most of the time.
>
> Please read Samba Official HOWTO, chapter 14.

I agree with Mike's advice - then again, I wrote that stuff! :-)

You can get your "specially reserved copy" (after all - everyone wants special
care!) from:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

Which document for you?

	Well: The Samba-Guide.pdf teaches how to drive the car and take a vacation
		The Samba-HOWTO-Collection shows how to build the auto-transmission

In your case, you need to build the auto-transmission. Suggest you read up on
IDMAP handling, User Rights and Privileges, and the use of the 'net' command.

No more 'root' accounts in the Samba passdb backend. In fact, you do not even
need an 'administrator' account now - all admin responsibilities can be
delegates to janitors if you wish.

Enjoy!

PS: The new HOWTO and By Example books will by available in print around
August.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra