[Samba] OS X Server and Duplication

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Wed May 18 13:45:21 GMT 2005

Yes, and no. Depends on who for and how you set things up. In our case, we
have a master and a slave OpenLDAP-based LDAP directory servicing both UNIX
and Windows logons via nss_ldap, and samba. Our user home directories are
all stored on one machine, various network shares, printers, and other stuff
on the 'backup' server. Every day we sync the data from one to the other via
rsync (could do more frequently, but for reasons beyond the scope of this
discussion we don't). Should for some reason the primary server fail, the
BDC will accept logons, and a simple change of the login script to change
drive mappings and we're all set with at the very worst, yesterdays data -
without requiring any data recovery from backups, etc.

The system works well, but all of the details you don't need to answer your
question. Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, and shares similar traits especially
so in the networking and kernel-land stuff... As such there is little to no
difference running OpenLDAP on either. Just a matter of configuring and
running slurp, (the replication facility within OpenLDAP). You can configure
samba to read it's directory from more than one LDAP server, so even samba
need not be restarted in the event of failure. The details of setting up
OpenLDAP to use replication are the same for any db stored in OpenLDAP,
regardless of the db's use or purpose - I'd point you on over to the
how-to's which do a fairly good job of elaborating on how/why replication is
done and will walk you through completing your setup.
http://www.openldap.org/ has a great set of documentation, as does samba on
the matter - try reading a bit and come back should you have any further
more detailed issues arrise.

Good luck,

--
Nathan Vidican