[Samba] File list Performance question

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Tue May 17 01:46:31 GMT 2005

Michael W Cocke wrote:

>On Mon, 16 May 2005 18:57:49 -0600, you wrote:
>

>>On Monday 16 May 2005 18:45, Michael W Cocke wrote:
>>

>>>I have a server running SuSE 9.3 (Samba 3.0.13-1.1).  The underlying
>>>filesystem is xfs, and the NICs are Netgear gigabit.  2 Gb of ram in a
>>>P4/3.0 Ghz. The workstations are windows XP Pro, with all service
>>>packs installed, on P4 3+ Ghz, 1-2 Gb of ram. (varies a bit by
>>>workstation)
>>>
>>>I have one particular tree on the server that contains over 12K files
>>>in a few hundred subdirs.  Breaking it up isn't an option.
>>>
>>>I'm aware that there are tons of parameters and options in the
>>>smb.conf file, many having to do with performance, but I could use a
>>>pointer.
>>>
>>>When the users try to open a file, the select file listbox in ANY
>>>windows app is taking an eternity to populate.  The transfer speed of
>>>the files is fine, but is there a paticular way to speed up the
>>>findfirst/findnext loop that populates the list?
>>>

>>There is a chapter on the subject of large directories in the
>>Samba-HOWTO-Collection (The Official Samba-3 HOWTO  and Reference Guide).
>>A copy has been reserved for you at:
>>	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
>>
>>If you find any problems please let me know as soon as possible.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>- John T.
>>

>Thanks!  The case sensitivity might be a problem, but maybe I can work
>something out...  Right now the filenames are mixed case and some of
>the software that maintains the contents will have to be rewritten.
>
>The biggest issue will be the users, as usual.  The filenames show up
>in a number of the places we use the data, and I don't think I'm going
>to impress anyone with all upper (or lower) case names, but it may be
>the only way we can make this work right, in which case they'll learn
>to love it.
>
>Is there any other option?

I found this helps in some circumstances, some office versions, MS
article 818792:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818792
Basically, it quits waiting for the entire list of files because it
quits trying to highlite the first openable file in the sort sequence.
Might be of some use.  Works for me.
Regards, Doug