[Samba] Solaris, Winbind and Active Directory Authentication

L. Mark Stone lmstone at rnome.com
Mon May 16 14:33:25 GMT 2005

We have not worked with Solaris much, and our contract Solaris guy has
very little experience with Winbind.  So, we are like two blind people
touching opposite ends of the elephant and trying to come to a
solution.  (No comments please on which end I drew...)  :-)

The question involves authentication in a native mode Windows 2000
Active Directory domain.

Is there any reason Samba/Winbind running on Solaris could not be used
for authenticating users who want to access resources on the Solaris
box against the AD user/group accounts?  We have done this with a SuSE
box, but never with a Solaris box (yet!).

Currently, the Solaris system (9 now, upgrading to 10 later this
year...) is manually populated with a set of *NIX user accounts that
mirror the accounts in AD.  This creates a lot of administrative
overhead (there are some 300+ user accounts, and employee turnover is
by nature fairly high), and will create even more help desk issues as
the AD environment is about to implement a GPO forcing frequent
password changes.

Any major "gotchas" we should watch out for?

Thanks,
Mark
A Message From...  L. Mark Stone

Reliable Networks of Maine, LLC

"We manage your network so you can manage your business."

477 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
Tel: (207) 772-5678
Web: http://www.rnome.com