[Samba] Intermittent file server problems

Jim lists at yggdrasill.net
Sat May 14 23:47:26 GMT 2005

On Sat, 14 May 2005, Doug VanLeuven wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>
>>  Hi - We have been running into some intermittent problems with Samba in
>>  a configuration where it is employed as a file server for several Windows
>>  Server 2003 boxes. This problem generally occurs only under heavy load
>>  when running some I/O intensive programs on the Windows side. Another
>>  common element seems to involve working with files that remain open for
>>  a long duration and are heavily updated.
>>
>>  On the Windows side the failure is typically preceded by a series of event
>>  log messages similar to the following.
>>
>>    MRxSmb Warning Event ID: 50
>>
>>    {Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the
>>    file \Device\LanmanRedirector. The data has been lost. This error
>>  may be
>>    caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection.
>>    Please try to save this file elsewhere.
>>
>>    (This message is the one that includes the c000020c status code)
>>
>>    Application Popup Information Event ID: 26
>>
>>    Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed: Windows was unable to
>>    save all the data for the file \\Server\mount\path\to\file.dat. The data
>>    has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer
>>    hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
>
> Hi Jim,
> There's a pretty good writeup about this by Tangent Systems.
>   http://www.tangent-systems.com/support/delayedwrite.html
> They document smb signing issues that affect windows to windows machines.

Thank you for the suggestion. We came across this writeup during our
initial investigation, but unfortunately I don't think it is applicable
to the problem we are seeing. SMB signing was disabled on all of our
machines early on to avoid the associated performance penality. I have
double checked the Windows machines and signing is still disabled. As I
understand it server signing is also disabled by default on the Samba
side, and we have done nothing to change that.

Thanks.

Jim