[Samba] directory permissions

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Fri May 13 22:14:42 GMT 2005

Aubrey King wrote:

>I have just finished replacing a client's Windows / Exchange / IIS setup
>here with Samba / [Postfix, UW Imap] / Apache and I've run into an issue.
>In this setup, Samba acts as PDC, so there are NO WINDOWS SERVERS - only
>win clients.  One of the apps that they run seems to explicitly require
>that the user own the folder that they are saving to.  In their prior
>setup, this was easy, as you could set the directory owner to the users
>group in the domain and everything was happy.  Even though I did this:
>
>net groupmap modify ntgroup="Domain Users" unixgroup=users
>
>I still cannot set users as the owner.  i even created a user called users
>and tried to fake it, but no dice.
>
>Ideas?

This seems perhaps simplistic, but can't a user create a folder in the
share and be the owner?
Then save the files inside of that?

in /home
drwxrwsr-x   39 root     staff        4096 Apr  9 15:24 public

[public]
        comment = Public Stuff
        path = /home/public
        read only = No

inside that folder, individual users own any directories they make
drwxrwsr-x    3 doug     staff        4096 Mar 24 04:10 DigitalID
drwxrwsr-x    4 marshall staff        4096 Mar 24 04:46 wallpaper

or are you preventing this with the samba force directory options?

Regards, Doug