[Samba] Gigabit Throughput too low

Duncan, Brian M. brian.duncan at kattenlaw.com
Fri May 13 19:26:49 GMT 2005

512 Megs of ram in server
Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz
2 Ultra 133 controllers - 8 drives total - all 300 gig drives running at
max UDMA support with write back cache turned off on each drive.
(Clients connected are all at 1 Gig full duplex)

FC2, with Samba 3.0.10-1

Any tweaks I try I test before and after and have only left in place
what tweaks seemed to improve performance.

I am just running into a wall with Linux's manner that it handles
caching of the files I think before it writes them to disk.  I have seen
my transfers start out as high as 50 Megabytes per second, but then they
slowly go down (seen it go as low as 1 Megabyte per sec) My guess is if
I added more memory to the server that time for it to slow down would be
increased a bit. (I was going to confirm that this weekend)

I just verified since this entire time I have been ONLY focused on
copying to the Linux server. My numbers all level off to almost exactly
10 MegaBytes per sec if I am copying FROM the linux box down to a
workstation. (Test copy of 4 gig file, starts off at 30-40 - till XP I
assume fills its buffers and starts spooling to disk, then drops and
holds at 10)

Also in your case if you NEVER see your rates change. (They just stay at
around 10Mbytes per sec I recall?) Do you have the ability to try jumbo
frames? >1500 MTU on all devices?  My current switch does not support
jumbo frames so I can't.

I believe it's tied to this pdflush. (My issue)

I found this regarding bdflush, and I think it would help me if I could
tweak pdflush:

Hi all,
    I recently switched to FC2 with the CCRMA 2.6.8 kernel. I was
wondering if there is a way to tune pdflush in the 2.6 kernel like you
could bdflush in the 2.4 kernel? I have seen advice on this list to set
bdflush by adding *"echo* "10 64 0 0 2000 15000 90 5 0" >
/proc/sys/vm/*bdflush" to the rc.local file, thus causing bdflush to
write smaller chunks more often to disk instead of waiting for the
"dirty buffer" to accumulate alot of stuff to write to disk all at once,

possibly causing dropouts. Is there a way to do this with pdflush or is
it even necessary with the 2.6 kernel? Thanks in advance.