[Samba] Gigabit Throughput too low

Duncan, Brian M. brian.duncan at kattenlaw.com
Fri May 13 17:06:29 GMT 2005

Hi I was wondering if you ever got better performance out of your
Gigabit/IDE/Fc2?

I am facing a similar situation. I am running FC2 with Samba 3.x

My problem lies in not that I am limited to 10 MBytes per second
sustained.  I think it's related to this pdflush and how it's buffers
are setup. (I have been doing some research and before 2.6 kernels
bdflush was the method that was used and it was tweakable.  Have yet to
find anything on HOW to tweak pdflush.

My issue is that I can copy over the network at 15+ MBytes per second
but then after a few minutes it will drop to 4-8 MBytes per second.  Yet
a drive to drive copy on the linux box itself can sustain 14+ MBytes per
second on the same size file. (4+ gigs) While I watch a Top when the
network copying is going on PDFlush is bouncing around with Samba, not
sure what is going on.

Was curious if you had improved your situation, and if you did what you
did.

BTW here are some tweaks for network stack related stuff for Gig.

sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=8388608
sysctl -w net.core.wmem_max=8388608
sysctl -w net.core.rmem_default=65536
sysctl -w net.core.wmem_default=65536
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_rmem='4096 87380 8388608'
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_wmem='4096 65536 8388608'
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_mem='8388608 8388608 8388608'
sysctl -w net.ipv4.route.flush=1

Brian M. Duncan
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
525 West Monroe Street
Chicago IL 60661-3693
312-577-8045

brian.duncan at kattenlaw.com

Important:
This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information
intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged,
confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing,
copying, disclosure or distribution of this information may be subject to
legal restriction or sanction.  Please notify the sender, by electronic
mail or telephone, of any unintended recipients and delete the original
message without making any copies.

NOTIFICATION:  Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is an Illinois limited liability
partnership that has elected to be governed by the Illinois Uniform
Partnership Act (1997).