[Samba] Re: Read-only and POSIX ACLs

Tom Schaefer tom at umsl.edu
Fri May 13 14:15:03 GMT 2005

Yes Jeremy,

I think that would be a good thing.

To the best of my knowledge, other than the particular situation we are
discussing, a user connected to a writeable share via Samba always has the
exact same ability to operate on files as if they where logged into the
box via a UNIX shell. That is how I as an admin have come to expect it to
operate and how I want it to operate.

Now obviously parameters such as force group and so forth are going to
change what a user can do but by default I'm saying the user should always
have the same ablity via Samba as if using a shell.

Incidentally, the situation you are talking about arises even if you take
ACL's completely out of the picture and have write access via the file's
standard group permissions if the owner doesn't have write.  If you do
change Samba to remedy the ACL situation I'd hope you remedy it in this
case too.

As far as an option to enable the current behaviour, sheesh I can't
decide.  How many admins would you guess are using the current behaviour
as a feature?  I'd guess very few if any.  On the other hand, now
that I know about this current oddity of Samba behaviour it almost seems
like something I myself could potentially make use of as a feature.

In summary my votes are:

Make the change? yes
Option to allow current behaviour? no opinion

Tom Schaefer