[Samba] not able to do dns lookups after following samba 3 by example

Vincent Yonemitsu yonemitsuv at bpl.on.ca
Thu May 12 19:46:36 GMT 2005

Agreed, yes in that context it may be ok, but I can't ever think of any
machine that doesn't use DNS for something. It may be usefull to put in
sort of a disclaimer to that note. When I first read it I took it as.
Hmm this Smaba server isn't using DNS to reference machine names so its
not needed. I didn't quite put it together. I would imagine it might
confuse others. or maybe I am just "special" like my mommy used to tell
me. :)

On May 12, 2005 03:43 PM, Paul Gienger <pgienger at ae-solutions.com>
wrote:

> > 1.
> >
> > Configure the name service switch (NSS) to handle WINS based
> > name resolution. Since this system does not use a DNS server, it
> > is safe to remove this option from the NSS configuration. Edit
> > the /etc/nsswitch.conf file so that the hosts: entry looks like
> > this:
> >
> >hosts: files wins
> >

> Given the context of that statement... there's nothing wrong with
> removing dns from the line. HOWEVER - and this is a big one - I feel
> pretty confidant that I can count on my fist how many times I'll ever
> run into a system that will be happy running with no dns.
>
> --
> Paul Gienger Office: 701-281-1884
> Applied Engineering Inc.
> Systems Architect Fax: 701-281-1322