[Samba] not able to do dns lookups after following samba 3 by example

Vincent Yonemitsu yonemitsuv at bpl.on.ca
Thu May 12 19:05:09 GMT 2005

I can't remember where I picked that line up from. I thought it was in
the "samba 3 by example" off of samba.org but I'll have to check and
make sure. It could very well have been off of some other website. I
have been referencing hundreds of websites working on samba. :)

Yes it was infact off of the samba.org site that I got this from here is
the snippet.
Use the standard system tool to start Samba and CUPS and configure them
to start automatically at every system reboot. For example:

root#  chkconfig dhcp on
root#  chkconfig smb on
root#  chkconfig cups on
root#  /etc/rc.d/init.d/dhcp restart
root#  /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart
root#  /etc/rc.d/init.d/cups restart

Configure the name service switch (NSS) to handle WINS based name
     resolution. Since this system does not use a DNS server, it is safe
     to remove this option from the NSS configuration. Edit the
     /etc/nsswitch.conf file so that the hosts: entry looks like this:
hosts:	files wins

Example 2.3. Accounting Office Network smb.conf File [globals] Section
# Global parameters

The page url in question is
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/small.html

Vincent Yonemitsu