[Samba] New ADS infrastructure with winbind - Which is the best ID-mapping: IDMAP_RID or IDMAP LDAP with ADS + SFU schema ?

Steffen Kolbe kolbe at vwi.tu-dresden.de
Thu May 12 13:30:57 GMT 2005

A question for the best winbind SID-UID/GID mapping in our situation:

I'm building a new infrastructure with Windows 2003SP1 ADS
Domaincontrollers and some Debian Servers (File: Samba+NFS; Mail; Web;
....) and varios XP and Debian Clients.

After reading Chapter 12. (Identity Mapping) in the Samba-HOWTO is
IDMAP_RID in couple with winbind an easy way to solve the problem with
syncr. SID-UID/GID's on all Linux machines.
Why should I use the "hard way" with the MS SFU 3.5 Schema extensions,
PADL and so on - when IDMAP_RID seems to be so easy?

Can anybody tell me something about the "deeper backgrounds" and which
of both ist the best solution for us?

Thanks and Best regards
Steffen

--