[Samba] Log deletion of file

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Thu May 12 07:20:12 GMT 2005

On Thursday 12 May 2005 00:25, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Thursday 12 May 2005 00:08, Roland Carlsson wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Today i stumbled into a problem. Someone in our economic-department had
> > deleted a couple of files. There was no big issue since the files was on
> > backup-tape but since noone knew who had deleted them and there are a lot
> > of sick people today it was hard to ask the one who deleted the files why
> > he/she deleted them even though it most likley was of an legitimate
> > reason. The problem I faced was that when searching through the logs I
> > could not even see that a deletion had occurd.
> >
> > So the quitestion, my logs view when people opens and closes files but
> > how do I see when they delete files?
>
> Please refer to Chapter 22, Section 22.3.2 of the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.
> This document may be downloaded from:
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
>
> - John T.

I know replying to oneself is a bad thing(TM) - but it seems the document on
our web site has not been updated since May 1. The location in the on-line
version is chapter 21. Apologies for the confusion.

Please note that I am updating this book at this time. There will be many
changes over the next 4 days.

- John T.