[Samba] Slow Session Setup AndX

Murphy, William William.Murphy at uth.tmc.edu
Wed May 11 22:26:27 GMT 2005

We are experiencing some slowness when opening files from a Samba file
share using Microsoft Word 2003.  Upon examination with Ethereal it
became apparent that Session Setup AndX calls are taking a long time to
complete, varying from 2 to 8 seconds between the time the client
provides an NTLMSSP_AUTH and the server responds.  I have also noticed a
peculiar NetBIOS name query for GSBS_STAFF<1c> immediately after the
client's NTLMSSP_AUTH packet, but I am not sure if or how that's
related.  The server is running Solaris 9 and Samba 3.0.10.  I would be
grateful for any advice or help anyone can offer.  Thanks in advance...

Bill Murphy
Network Analyst
University of Texas Health Science Center - Houston