[Samba] cifs share / unable to load nls charset utf8

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Wed May 11 13:02:48 GMT 2005

ons, 11.05.2005 kl. 14.07 skrev Julius Junghans:

> ive got some problems with my shares(cifs), the server/client (both
> gentoo) is utf8 ready but i cant get typical german sings like "öäü" to
> work, all i get is ? instead of the  chars.
> i can see the chars from my windows xp machine, but why not from the
> linux client?

What do you have for "display charset" in [global]? Mine's unset, which
gives LOCALE by default, which means I get to see Norwegian letters at
the CLI, but *only* because my LANG=no_NO.UTF-8. I also get the wanted
result when I set "display charset" to UTF-8.

If your LC_LANG is other than whatever_WHATEVER.UTF-8  you probably
won't get to see German characters at the CLI anyway, sniff sniff.

--Tonni

--
Nothing sucksseeds like a pigeon without a beak ...

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They'll love us, won't they? They feed us, don't they? ...