[Samba] Browsing across networks

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Tue May 10 18:09:40 GMT 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, John H Terpstra wrote:

>>> Have you pointed your machines at this one for their wins server?  This
>>> is crucial.  As an alternative, have you looked at the remote sync
>>> related parameters?
>>
>> Yes. XP clients WINS settings are pointing to the samba server. I've also
>> tried not using samba as a WINS server, pointing both samba and XP clients
>> to other WINS servers in the WAN, but that doesn't work either.
>
> What other WINS servers do you have? How is WINS replication configured?

We currently have one wins server in our subnet, that is the samba PDC
(when it's wins support = yes). Before I set up samba as a PDC WINS
server, there were 0 wins servers in our subnet. I prefer not to have a
wins server in our subnet. Our old NT4 PDC (not a wins server) and XP
clients have always pointed to wins servers outside our subnet but on our
WAN, and the NT4 PDC has always kept a perfect browse list of all domains
in the WAN.

I don't know what wins replication is but now that you've mentioned it
I'll look into it. Hopefully that's my problem and fixing that will make
the browse list work correctly.

Thanks!

Alex