[Samba] Using ldap for permissions/authenication

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue May 10 16:23:11 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 08:18, Jennifer Fountain wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I am currently using Active Directories (via openldap client) to
> authenicate my linux clients and would like to have samba use AD (ldap -
> not winbind) as well.  I really haven't seen any documentation on how to
> implement, however.  Does anyone have any information regarding ldap and
> samba (redhat rpm)?

It is possible to use the Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX (SFU) to extend
the ADS schema with UNIX UID/GID information so that nss_ldap can be used to
provide that directly your UNIX client. To get this functionality nss_ldap
need to be built with support for ADS features - something I do not know
whether or not your Red Hat package has.

Suggest you obtain the latest nss_ldap from the PADL web site and read the
lastest info in it. You can obtain this from http://www.padl.com.

- John T.