[Samba] getting SID on a Samba 2.2.2 domain

Chuck Theobald chuckt at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue May 10 12:39:19 GMT 2005

Hi Jonathan,

If the machine is a domain controller, log onto one of your Windows
machines that has joined the domain and check the registry under
HKEY_USERS, there will be entries there that reflect the SID of the domain.
I used this to discover the SID of a TAS server for which I needed the SID.
TAS was not cooperative, but my client machines were.

If your old machine is not a domain controller, I think it does not matter
that the SID changes when going to the new machine, as there is no user
information dependent upon the SID of the server in this case. Please, if
this is not correct, someone write a clarification.

Regards,
Chuck