[Samba] Samba 3 ADS problem with %g variable

Penny Willisson Penny.Willisson at Ellisonslegal.com
Tue May 10 11:31:02 GMT 2005

Hi

I have successfully configured my SuSE Linux 9.0 server to use Samba 3.0.14 and accept my Windows 2000 users through Active Directory to access the shares.

However I have some shares that have paths that are made up of %g/%U variables.

The %U works fine but I cannot get the %g in any format to give me just the group name I get DOMAIN/groupname sent through instead which is making the paths invalid and my share folders inaccessible by the windows clients.  I have tried making a directory structure that matches the DOMAIN/groupname and it still isn't happy and I still get a message saying 'path not found' when I try and access the shares.

Can anyone give me any ideas how to resolve this?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Here is my smb.conf file
[global]
     unix charset = LOCALE
     workgroup = DOMAIN
     realm = DOMAIN.COM
     server string = Samba 3.0.14
     security = ADS
     username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
     log level = 1
     syslog = 3
     log file = /var/log/samba/%m
     max log size = 50
     ldap ssl = no
     idmap uid = 10000-20000
     idmap gid = 10000-20000
     template primary group = "Domain Users"
     template shell = /bin/bash
     template homedir = /home/%U
     winbind separator = /
     winbind enum users = yes
     winbind enum groups = yes
     winbind use default domain = no
     password server = *
     encrypt passwords = yes
     os level = 2
     domain logons = No
     preferred master = No
     wins support = Yes
     keep alive = 60
     dead time = 30

[homes]
     comment = Private Folders (%U)
     path = /data/private/%U
     valid users = %S
     read only = No
     browseable = No
     hide dot files = Yes
     veto files = /bin/public_html/.*/

[People]
     comment = Users Department Files (%g/%U)
     path = /data/departments/people/%g/%U
     read only = No
     valid users = @%g
     create mask = 0664
     directory mask = 6770
     veto files =/*.rem/*dontrem*/
     delete veto files = No

[Private]
     comment = Users Private Files (/data/private/%U)
     path = /data/private/%U
     read only = No
     browseable = Yes
     create mask = 0700