[Samba] Changing AD passwords from Unix box

john john at gallaghernet.com
Mon May 9 16:32:16 GMT 2005

I have set up my linux system to authenticate against usernames and passwords on
a win2k3 AD server.  This seems to work fine,  users are able to login to the
linux using ssh, brows home directories, login at the console....

The goal is to allow users that work on Linux systems for development to share
their home directories with windows systems (laptop's running Windows XP).  We
have some people who will never use a Windows system but they will still
authenticate using winbind against the AD server.

How does a user change passwords form the Linux box for the global account
stored in AD?

If I run the standard passwd command it is asking me for my NT password.

[tester1 at linman ~]$ passwd
Changing password for user tester1.
Changing password for tester1
(current) NT password:
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: System error

If I use smbpasswd as follows it also returns an error:

[tester1 at linman ~]$ smbpasswd -r hqdc1
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
machine hqdc1 rejected the password change: Error was : Password restriction.
Failed to change password for tester1
[tester1 at linman ~]$ smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the (anonymous) password change: Error was : No such
user.
Failed to change password for tester1
[tester1 at linman ~]$

Am I missing something?