SOLVED RE: [Samba] Samba+ldap, Getent and AD (aka the good bad and the downright ugly)

sysrm sysrm at stvincent.ac.uk
Mon May 9 14:15:35 GMT 2005

Ok, went back through all the documentation (NB might be worth the doc
writer of
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html#id25
97045 putting something in about this)

By default redhat installed samba (even tho I told it not to) so I did the
rpm -e samba-*

Then built it by hand and installed it (as per the above document) looked in
/lib and there was a libnss_winbind.so and .so.2 already, so figured that
make install had put them in there..... Wrong :/

It must have been from the previous default install

Before

[root at dev1 lib]# ls -l libnss_winbind.so*
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           19 Jul 21  2004 libnss_winbind.so ->
libnss_winbind.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        13832 Sep 25  2003 libnss_winbind.so.2

After....

[root at dev1 lib]# cp
/usr/local/src/samba-3.0.14a/source/nsswitch/libnss_winbind.so
./libnss_winbind.so.2
[root at dev1 lib]# ls -l libnss_winbind.so*
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           19 Jul 21  2004 libnss_winbind.so ->
libnss_winbind.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        19507 May  9 15:01 libnss_winbind.so.2

Getent passwd now shows domain users etc.

I doubt this will be the last problem, but im a heck of way further than I
was 20 mins ago :)

Cheers

Ross