[Samba] Horrendously slow transfer speeds in FC3 is driving me crazy!!! Please help...

peter peter at totallinux.com.br
Mon May 9 02:18:03 GMT 2005

Hello,

I recently posted a message with the subject: "Strangely slow transfers
speeds with samba 3.0.10 and FC3..."

My problem is basically that I've setup a samba server with Fedora Core 3,
the version used is 3.0.10-1.fc3.

I can put files on the server at reasonable speeds, but getting them from
the server with a Windows 2000/XP client is another matter, the speeds drop
to a pathetic rate. With smbclient (in Linux) it's even worse; the speed
falls to 1/10 of the rate!

OK, the figures: a 540MB file when transferred via FTP or NFS (Linux client)
takes about 61 seconds (rate is around 8MB/s), via samba (win 2k/XP) takes
over 4 minutes, via smbclient (Linux) takes about 20 minutes!!!

Does anyone have any idea why smbclient is so slow? Note that I'm using CIFS
as SMB with Samba 3 is even worse!

Is there something drastically wrong with the Fedora versions of Samba?

Thanks for your time.

Peter.