[Samba] Re: roaming profiles problem for new users

Jon Wilson jon at phuq.co.uk
Fri May 6 12:07:12 GMT 2005

Further supplementary:

I now have a test machine set up, with pretty much the defualt Mandrake
config (see below). My WinXP SP2 PC joins the TEST domain happily, and
has no profiles for this domain on it yet.

I can authenticate fine as a normal user, but I cannot do anything sane
related to profiles. I just get "Cannot locate server copy of roaming
profile" followed by "Access Denied" and a temporary profile. If I have
a "Default User" profile under the netlogon share, this gets loaded into
the temporary profile, which is something I guess, but not really very
useful in terms of saving settings on exit.

Does ANYONE have roaming profiles working under Samba 3.0.10, preferably
on Mandrake Linux with WinXP SP2 clients? I'm tearing my hair out here!
How can I find out what the "Access Denied" error is referring to?

"TEST" PDC config follows:

#======================= Global Settings
[global]
    workgroup = TEST
#  netbios name = <name_of_this_server>
    server string = Samba Server %v
    load printers = no
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 5000
    log level = 5
    guest account = nobody
    map to guest = never
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    private dir = /etc/samba/private
    domain master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    logon script = logon.bat
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u
    logon drive = H:
    wins support = yes
    dns proxy = yes

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
[netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
[profiles]
     path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
     browseable = no
     guest ok = yes
     writable = yes
     root preexec = PROFILE='/var/lib/samba/profiles/%u'; if [ ! -e
$PROFILE ]; \
                 then mkdir -pm700 $PROFILE; chown '%u':'%g' $PROFILE;fi

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
    comment = Temporary file space
    path = /tmp
    read only = no