[Samba] Re: Strangely slow tranfers speeds...

Bob McIlvaine suemac at empire.net
Fri May 6 11:22:41 GMT 2005

Peter,

I have the similar issues with OpenBSD and
Samba. I've detailed the revs in previous posts
to the newsgroup.

In my case one device, a Audiotron, can stream
wav files fine from a windows share on a
windows box, but not from a Samba share.
Windows boxes can stream fine from the same
Samba share.

My attempts at oplock, etc. have had no effect.

If you figure this out please let me know your
solution.

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 19:53:56 -0300
> From: "peter" <peter at totallinux.com.br>
> Subject: [Samba] Strangely slow tranfers
speeds with samba 3.0.10 and
> 	FC3...
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>

> Ok, I've found some references to this issue
with samba on the net, but
> not
> related to the version of samba I'm running
(which is 3.0.10, updated
> version that comes with Fedora Core 3).
>
> My problem is this, I've got a Compaq Proliant
2500 (dual Pentium
> Pro-200MHz
> with 256MB RAM and the standard
Netintelligent 10/100 network controller
> that come with it)... I've narrowed down that
hardware isn't a problem
> because I can get a comfortable 9 MB/s
transfer rate from this machine
> using
> FTP.
>
> My problem is Samba, more specifically
reading a file from a samba share.
> can read a 350 MB file at a horrendously slow
speed of 0.85MB/s, it
> takes
> more than 10 minutes for the file to be
transferred, when I use a Windows
> XP
> or Windows 2000. If I use Windows 98 it takes
just over 2 minutes.

> Now, the strange thing is that if I log into my
samba server, mount a
> volume
> from my Windows (2k/XP) PC with smbmount
and copy the file to the mount
> point, it takes just over 2 minutes. If I write to
the samba server (copy
> files from the windows (98/2k/XP) PC to the
samba server) it takes just
> over
> 2 minutes. In these situations the transfer rate
is about 5MB/s.

> So the problem is specifically Windows 2000
or XP reading from the Samba
> server. I've seen a reference to a problem
similar to this but the
> person
> was using samba 2.2, incidentally I have an old
Samba 2.2 (RH7.2) on the
> network (which I was hoping to replace) that
does not suffer this problem,
> can't compare the rates as the hardware is
much inferior (a
> Pentium-133MHz
> with 32MB RAM) but the read and write
speeds are similar and it takes
> just
> over 3 minutes to read a 350MB file with
Windows 2k/XP clients, so it's
> lot faster than the Proliant 2500!
>
> I've tried disabling oplocks, switching NetBIOS
off (using just TCP/IP),
> doubling the send and receive buffers, etc... all
to no avail!

> Any help would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Peter.