[Samba] slow logon from wireless network (roaming profiles)

Geoff Scott geoffs at guestshire.com
Fri May 6 01:27:50 GMT 2005

Tony Mullen wrote:
> Hi,

> We also have a wireless network that is running on a different subnet
> and is connected to the main network using a vpn tunnel.  The
> delimiting factor here would be the 10Mbs cards in the VPN devices so
> I would expect some reduction in speed.  However, logging on and off
> is REALLY slow - a lot more than ten times slower - the record being
> 2 hours on a PC that has a lot of data on it (it took around 3 or 4
> minutes when cabled on the same PC).
>
> I know it is roaming profiles causing the issue because setting the
> PC to local profiles only solves it.  However this is not an
> acceptable solution for us and I am trying to find out why it would
> be so much slower.
>

> Anyone come accross this or got any ideas what to try?
>

> thanks in advance,
>
> tony

So I take it that you have already looked into profiles redirection as per
the Samba by example guide and the howto guides?  If you haven't that would
probably be a good place to start to see how to redirect "bulky" directories
within a users profile to network shares.  Apart fromm that no other
suggestions here as to how to fix the problem.

Regards Geoff Scott