[Samba] "net rpc share (hostname)" doesn't work?

smc+samba at dogphilosophy.net smc+samba at dogphilosophy.net
Thu May 5 21:15:42 GMT 2005

I'd swear I ran into this before on another of the "net rpc (something)"
commands, but don't recall now.

It seems as though if I try to run the plain "net rpc share (hostname)"
command to enumerate (hostname)'s shares that it doesn't work.  My best guess
is that net is insisting on seeing a subcommand for "share" - it comes back
complaining "no command (hostname)".  "net rpc file (hostname)" has the same
problem.  "net rpc file USER (username) (hostname)" (for example) DOES work,
though.

Is this intended behavior?  The man pages and "net rpc share help" both seem
to indicate that I should be able to leave off the "subcommand" to get a
listing of shares (or open files for "net rpc file").

This is samba 3.0.15rc1, incidentally...

Bug?  Misfeature?  Failure to read the apporpriate set of documentation (in
which case pointers are welcome)?

Thanks...