[Samba] New/Changed users can't login to samba PDC

David Nagel nagel at ursu.uregina.ca
Thu May 5 16:41:51 GMT 2005

Hello,

     I'm running Samba 3.0.9 on SuSE Enterprise Linux Server 9.0.
Samba is acting as a PDC for Win2K/XP systems. I upgraded this system
from samba 2.x running on  Mandrake 10. I brought over the old
smbpasswd file. Domain logons work just fine. Today I changed a users
password with smbpasswd and now they can't logon to any domain member
workstation. I also created a new user and they are unable to logon
as well.

     I can connect to shares with "net use X: /USER:DOMAIN\user \
\computer\share" so it looks like the password changed just fine.
Can't figure out why it won't allow domain logons.

     Some of the things that I have tried so far... I converted
smbpasswd to the new format. I changed the passdb backend from
smbpasswd to tdbsam. Other useful info...  I'm not using LDAP to
store UNIX user accounts. I'm using flat files (/etc/passwd & /etc/
shadow).

--
David Nagel
Information Services Manager - University of Regina Students' Union