[Samba] What is good about kereberos auth?

José M. Fandiño samba at fadesa.es
Wed May 4 17:17:40 GMT 2005

Ti Leggett wrote:

> That may be true, but there is another win in this type of environment.
> Separation of your authentication database from your identity management
> database. Regardless of how you authenticate in this scenario, you will

also there is the opposite school of thought, if you have disconnected
databases it makes management more difficult, i.e. keep passwords synchronized
for different applications.

> be sending passwords (even encrypted) over the wire. If the passwords
> are in a KDC then at least it's not easy to gain those passwords. If you
> keep your passwords in LDAP, then you need to be very careful about who
> has access to them.

 that is true in an environment with native kerberos authentication, but
in the samba case it isn't applicable because the password is sent to
PAM and this check the password against ldap send it over the wire.