[Samba] Printers inaccesible

Alfredo Ramos ralf at navidad.is.rice.edu
Wed May 4 16:59:39 GMT 2005

Hello;

  I have a strange situation.

  About a year ago we upgraded to samba-3.0.10 from samba-2.28a and joined
the samba server to an AD domain as a member server. The migration went
smooth. Everything fell in place just right -- until a few weeks ago that
is.

  A few weeks ago we aquired a new plotter, and while setting it up to be
used, we encountered the first problem. We were not able to load the
drivers onto the client workstation. This was fixed by adding the
parameter "write list = @ads" to the printers share on the conf file. We
had not experienced this problem before because the samba server was our
DC and in order to load drivers the user doing it had to specify an
account with root privileges on the server. Now that we migrated to AD
samba no longer keeps a password file. All authentication is done by AD.
So, the "write list" parameter tells samba to treat anybody in that group
as an administrator.

  The problem we're experiencing now is that, although the driver is
loaded on the client workstation, it appears that only administrators are
able to print to the plotter; regular users can not. When a regular user
tries to print to it, he gets an "Access denied" message.

  Thinking that the problem was with the plotter somehow, I added more
regular HP printers, and got the same results.

  To make a long story short. Every printer that was defined before the
migration works fine. Every printer defined after the migration does not.
I haven't had enough time to go through the changes since release 3.0
because this is kind of low priority for now. But I definitely will have
to know what is causing this behavior. I can tell that the problem is
somewhere in the exchange of credentials between AD and samba because on
the logs I see samba checking them and failing. If there is a parameter
that I am not using, I would very much appreciate it if somebody could
point me in that direction. If this is something that can be fixed by an
upgrade to a later release, I can live with it until after the semester is
over.

  This is my printers share:

[printers]
   comment = Owlnet Postscript Printers
   lpq command = /usr/site/LPRng/bin/lpq -P %p
   print command = echo PRINTING %s to %p at ....
   guest ok = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   use client driver = Yes
   writable = no
   public = yes
   printable = yes
   write list = @ads

  Our server is a Solaris 5.8

I would appreciate any help with this.

Best regards;

Al.

This space available for rent.      |  Alfredo Ramos
Get your product moving.            |  Rice University.
Advertise here!                     |  Systems, Architecture & Infastructure
                                    |  Email: ralf at is.rice.edu
2 + 2 = 98734374652374957475  (for extremely large values of 2).