[Samba] Machine trusts after migration

Phil Dawson phil.dawson at gedys.co.uk
Wed May 4 09:14:09 GMT 2005

I've migrated from windows pdc to samba and came across a strange problem.
 When doing the migration everything went ok.  I vampired the accounts and
created the group mappings etc.  The machine and user accounts came across
ok.  The xp box I've been testing with was authenticating and could access
the shares but was not seeing the samba box as the pdc.  Everything seemed
to be set up ok.  What I had to do was enter system properties/computer
name then select network id and re-create a machine account on the samba
server.  After that the xp box would log onto the domain.  The funny thing
is nothing seems to have changed on the samba server.  User and machine
accounts are still there and haven't changed.  Secrets is the same.  Group
mappings are the same.  Obviously, something would have changed on the xp
workstation but I was under the impression the xp box should have used the
new pdc as this pdc was the only one available to it for this domain.

Currently using samba 3.0.10-1.4E.

Can anyone shed some light on why this would happen?

TIA,

Phil