[Samba] weird permission problem

Hans du Plooy hansdp at sagacit.com
Tue May 3 17:50:57 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I setup a DC for a company who until now have been using standalone
WindowsXP Pro desktops in a "workgroup."

Initially I just added the users, standard setup.  They all belong to
the group "users."

Then they asked for a limited group to have access to the financial
folders.  So I added a group "financial" and limited access to users in
the financial group.

Now, for some reason, only the people in "financial" can print.

In my log.smbd file I see the user connect and it says authentication
succeeds, but the user gets an "access denied."

Has anyone seen this behaviour before?  The setup is the standards SUSE
9.2 samba, with users in smbpasswd file.  I've used SUSE 9.2 for many
domain controllers before, all with printing, most with multiple groups,
and I've never seen this before.

Thanks
--
Kind regards