[Samba] nscd, ldap and the root/Administrator account

Ian Clancy clancyian at cel.ie
Tue May 3 10:55:22 GMT 2005

Hi,
I'm using Samba 3 as a PDC with an Openldap backend and  also have a
number of Samba domain member servers that lookup the ldap directory for
their account information. I use ssh to perform various administration
tasks. There is an account called Administrator in the LDAP directory
that has a UID of 0 . However, after nscd has been started, the next
time i login to one of the member servers using the root account my
username is reported as Administrator and not as root as expected. This
causes various issues with ssh keys etc..

I have the following lines in my nsswitch.conf file.

> passwd:     files ldap
> shadow:     files ldap
> group:      files ldap

grepping the output of 'getent passwd' for x:0:

> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> Administrator:x:0:5001:Netbios Domain
> Administrator:/home/Administrator:/bin/bash

When i stop the nscd service the behaviour of the system returns to normal.
I apologise if this topic is not directly samba related. However, i'm
sure somebody else must have come accross this behaviour.

Thanks,
Ian