[Samba] Re: Migrating Samba -- Parallel Installation

John H Terpstra jht at PrimaStasys.Com
Tue May 3 09:36:57 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 03 May 2005 03:26, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> accept my apologies for re-sending my email but I do:
> > Lukas Ruf <ruf at rawip.org> [2005-05-02 18:50]:
>
> for migrating Samba, I would like to install the latest Samba Server
> on a new server machine in parallel to the operational one.
>
> My questions:
>
> - Is there the risk of corrupting data if two machines work on the
>   same (NFS-shared) data?

So long as the NFS server and clients support locking (NFS lockd) the risk is
low.

> - If so, what is the recommended way of upgrading/migrating samba?

See chapter 8 of the book Samba-3 by Example. You can obtain this book from:

	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

Hard copy print will be available at a later date.

> - If no, is there anything in particular I need to take care of?

Sorry - not enough information given to form a valid response.

> Thanks in advance for any help!

No problems, but please be patient - this is a user supported list and all

- John T.