[Samba] BDC, documentation, Machine Accounts Keep Expiring

Dmitry Melekhov dm at belkam.com
Tue May 3 08:57:42 GMT 2005

Hello!

I want to create BDC with smbpasswd backend, just because I run ldap
master on the same machine as PDC and I don't think that using ldap
backend will be far better for me.
Only thing I don't understand:
I read in howto:
<quote>

      Machine Accounts Keep Expiring

This problem will occur when the passdb (SAM) files are copied from a
central server but the local Backup Domain Controller is acting as a
PDC. This results in the application of Local Machine Trust Account
password updates to the local SAM. Such updates are not copied back to
the central server.
</quote>

But I looked into change_trust_pw.c
and see
 /* if this next call fails, then give up.  We can't do
           password changes on BDC's  --jerry */

I.e., looks like machines will not change their password when working
with BDC (i.e. when PDC is down).

Do I understand this right?

Thank you!