[Samba] Samba-3 By Example, Example 2.4

E Hines eehines at comcast.net
Sun May 1 18:13:12 GMT 2005

I'm running FC3 with Samba v 3.0.14a, and I'm trying to implement
Example 2.4 from JHT's 2004 ed. of  Samba-3 by Example.  I have lserver1
as my Linux box and jupiter (user annlee) and mustelidae (ehines) as
Win2k boxes.  ehines has access to his share (path /archive/ehines
(/archive/%U in smb.conf)), but annlee does not to her share
(/archive/annlee).  If I add annlee as a valid user to master, though,
she does have access.  It works in the other direction, too: if annlee
is a valid user of master, and ehines is not, then ehines has no access.

Without annlee as a valid user of share master, then when she tries to
access her share from jupiter, she gets a dialog box inviting her to log
in, and this fails ("Incorrect password or unknown user name").

I've run the diagnostics, et al., from the Terpstra and Vernooij Samba
HOWTO book, and they all work.

The essential parts of my smb.conf follow.  I appreciate any help I can
get.

Eric Hines

[global]
        workgroup = ASTRA_ENT